Midhgardhur

Midhgardhur
Midhgardhur: The Fantasy World of Colin Anders Brodd

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

How to Help an Author

Hello everyone,




     The best thing you can do for an author is to read and enjoy what they write. That is the point of writing, after all - having someone else read what you wrote, and for that person to enjoy what you have done. But if you love what an author does, how can you help? Well, it is probably obvious, but buying the author's books always helps. And if you buy a book, and read it, and enjoy it, then the next best thing you can do is to write a review. My work is mostly sold through Amazon, so Amazon reviews are critical for me - people often make the decision whether or not to buy my books based on the reviews. And yes, the numerical ratings are very important, but if you can say something about why you enjoyed the book, that helps immensely. Reviews anywhere else are great too - Goodreads is a great site for this, and blogging or posting about books you read and enjoy can be very helpful.

     I write this not just for myself (though I certainly do hope that if you enjoy my writing you will buy my books and write positive reviews on Amazon and Goodreads), but for authors and artists in general. If you enjoy a particular artist's work, support them! Buy their work! Read their books! Encourage others to do the same! Review it if you can, especially if you can do so positively. There are authors I adore, like Neil Gaiman or Patrick Rothfuss (to pick a couple of prominent examples). I buy their books when I have the money, and I promote them to everyone I know. I give them as gifts. I spread the word. I review on Goodreads. Established authors may not need as much help as struggling beginners like myself, but every bit helps, and I want them to go on producing the art I love, so I support it in any way I can.

Happy Reading! Skál!
~ Colin Anders Brodd

No comments:

Post a Comment