Midhgardhur

Midhgardhur
Midhgardhur: The Fantasy World of Colin Anders Brodd

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Word Count Wednesday, Angels of Death, Ormsbani, and more!

Hello everyone,


     Welcome back to Word Count Wednesday with Colin Anders Brodd of Midhgardhur Books! I've been away a while (I got sick, my little toddlers got sick. all kinds of craziness), but I'm trying to get back on track. I've been tinkering with "Angels of Death," which is still not quite where I want it (nor completely finished, honestly), and it is sitting at 4860 words. I think it'll crack 5000 before I'm done. It should be posting to Tales From Midhgardhur on Channillo as soon as I am satisfied, so within the next few days, probably.

     I've also been working through my final polishing of Ormsbani lately, with lots of help from the Armadillo Authors' Workshop. I just finished incorporating edits based on the suggestions I got at my last time at the workshop, and I think it's really just getting better and better. It's currently sitting at 71,721 words. I'm cutting a lot as I go, but I'm also adding a lot, so I seem to be breaking even on word count. We'll see how it goes. Incidentally, if you're an author in the Phoenix area, the Armadillo Authors' Workshop meets at the Armadillo Grill down on Camelback on Thursday nights, 7-9 PM. Join us! There's a lot of talent at that table!

     Before I go for tonight, let me mention again my recent labor of love, the project I am calling Appendix N Revisited. For this project I am reading works and authors listed in Gary Gygax's "Appendix N" from the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Dungeon Master's Guide (1st edition) as inspirational to the creation of D&D and RPGs. I immersed myself in Appendix N from the moment I first read it (back around 1985?) and whenever I could find the books and authors listed thereon (which was often a challenge in the 80s; the Internet revolution has made research easier, though with time, more of the books have gone out of print). Anyway, I read and review the books, assess their influence on gaming (both old school and recent), and discuss their influence on my own game mastering and writing. Most recently, my analysis of the works of Fredric Brown posted for April, my upcoming article for May will be on Edgar Rice Burroughs' At the Earth's Core (I decided to read the Pellucidar books because I never had before - I love his Mars stories, and have some familiarity with Tarzan, but I had never explored these!). If you're interested in D&D, RPGs, old school gaming, and classic fanstasy,sci-fi, swords-and-sorcery, and weird fiction, please check out my blog posts on Appendix N Revisted, posting on or around the Ides of each month.

Happy Reading! Skál!
~ Colin Anders Brodd
Villa Picena, Phoenix, Arizona


No comments:

Post a Comment